Thursday, April 02, 2009

tasty turkey meatballs

I'm not a huge fan of ground turkey, but it is better for you and costs less. Therefore, I have been searching for tasty recipes that call for it. I have also been looking for new meatball recipes. This is because I have found that if meat is formed into a ball Marie is more likely to eat it for dinner. I found this recipe in cooking light a while back. We had them with spaghetti for the first time night and LOVED them. These meatballs can also substitute for beef in stroganoff, or be served as an appetizer with warmed marinara dip, as the magazine suggests. Ricotta helps keep the lean ground turkey breast moist. Prepare them in advance, if you like, and store in the freezer for up to three months.
SERVES 4 -6 , 18 meatballs -For me the recipe made 23 meatballs.

Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey breast
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 egg
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs -I used italian
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil -I used a palm full of dried
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2 Combine ground turkey breast with the other ingredients in a bowl and then shape mixture into about 18 meatballs.
3 Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
4 Coat pan with cooking spray.
5 Add meatballs, and brown on all sides. I skipped steps 3-5 and just baked them for 20 mins
6
Remove from skillet; transfer to a broiler pan coated with cooking spray, and bake for 15 minutes or until done.
7 To freeze: Follow cooking directions, then allow meatballs to cool to room temperature.
8 Place on a baking sheet, making sure they don't touch one another, and place in the freezer for an hour.
9 Next, transfer hardened meatballs to an airtight container, and store in the freezer.
10 Thaw meatballs in the refrigerator, then bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated.

No comments: