Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Our Mishap


 
On Monday August 20th an accident or mishap, because we feel like it was suppose to happen for various greater reasons, occurred in our home. I was boiling nearly ten pounds of potatoes to make three of the same meal, one to take to a new mother, one for us that night, and one to freeze for us for when the baby comes. The kids and I were in the kitchen getting their snack when I notice I better drain the potatoes. When I went to drained them in the sink, I was startled by a metal folding chair falling. Being nearly 37 weeks pregnant I lost control and dropped the pot. I ran. The kids were by the refrigerator (about 5 to 7 feet away) the water start flowing towards them. They ran towards the exit too, which was into the hot water. Marie, my smart girl, hopped onto the fallen chair. I quickly ran back into the kitchen to rescue them. The boys were falling all over the hot wet slippery floor. I fell too, but got them out. I rushed them to the bath room, turn on cold water in the bath tub, and put them all in. I saw how badly burned they were so I called 911. They came quickly and my neighbors followed shortly behind. 


Thomas was the worst off. They took him first followed by Peter. Marie and I were not as badly burned. Because our local ER is not equipped to handle much, the boys were helicoptered to The Children Hospital of the Kings Daughter's (CHKD) down in Norfolk. Marie and I were treated in our ER. My neighbor and good friend, Megan, was able to drive down to CHKD to be with the boys when I was being treated. My other good friend Carrie came to the hospital to be with me and Marie. Carrie ended up driving us down to CHKD. I cannot say how much I appreciated seeing Megan holding my Little Tom like he was her own when I arrived at CHKD. The boys had been treated in the ER there. Shortly after we arrived they were admitted to the hospital.

Steve was in Canada when this all happened. Through calling his parents I was able to have his company contact him and fly him home. He made it to the hospital around 10 pm. Carrie took Marie home with her then. Marie and my mother in law spent the night at Carrie's since my other sweet neighbors cleaned my kitchen and locked the house. 

Out first night at the hospital was hard. The boys were in a lot of pain. Peter slept, but Thomas couldn't really unless we were holding him. We got about 2 hours. 

The next day the burn team assessed, scrubbed, and wrapped their burns. Each of the boys only had 2nd degree burns on 5% of their body. Peter lower legs and feet and Thomas' lower right arm, and both feet. The bandages they used are amazing technology. Thomas has a glove, which will allow full moment once it hardness like a scab that doesn't stick to the the new skin below. They both have a sponge like material on their feet and Peter legs, which doesn't need replacing during the healing process. Thomas' glove also doesn't need to be replaced. They were sedated during the scrubbing and wrapping. When they fully woke up Grandma and Marie were in their hospital room too. We were blessed to get a large joint room. Grandma and Marie  went back to our house at the end of the day. The second night in the hospital went better, but both boys needed morphine to sleep. That allowed Steve and I to sleep some too. 

The next morning the doctors came by to check their burns. They were happy with what they saw. They just replaced the outside gauze. Peter stomach felt sick at breakfast time so we had to wait until he ate his lunch to begin the discharge process. We left the hospital at 4pm. When we got home Grandma and Marie were there to greet us. Megan had brought dinner over so we didn't have to worry about that. 

Everyone slept better at home. Thomas did begin to run a fever (102.5) so we had to bring him to the ER to be evaluated. We learned Lortab is not a good fever reducer and to be very diligent about the Ibuprofen. 

The doctors at first predicted that it would be two weeks before the boys could walk. However, Peter took steps the first day. Thomas couldn't move on his own in the hospital because on his one good hand they had his IV. Once we got home and he had uses of one hand he started scooting. That lasted two days and then he started walking, which quickly turned to running and climbing. Both have a can do attitude. The doctors say there will be no permit damage and they should be recovered in three weeks. Just about the baby's due date. We are now hoping the baby does stay for the full 40 weeks. We feel so blessed that this accident wasn't any worse. And we are so grateful for all of those who were there for for us in our time of need. We hope we can do the same for other when the time comes.

 There has been a whole lot of I-pad playing and TV watching in the last week. Instead of saying you may only play/watch for an hour I have been saying, "Ok, now were going to have one hour free of electronics." Now that they are able to move more I going to start weening them off the electronics.
 We have received such a out pouring of love from our friends and family. In a care package that we got there was this toy, a "bounce back ball." I thought it was so fitting. Thomas is learning how to use his left hand quite well. We think he'll be ambidextrous after he is fully recovered. While his right arm was cover in gauze he was using it as a kleenex. It got a bit gross. Marie had a cold while this all happened, which has now been passed to Thomas. I hope it makes way through the house before baby comes. 
Today the boys had their 1st follow up appointment. The doctor was very pleased on how well they are healing. He said there was no sign of infection. He cut away a lot of bandage material that is no longer needed. Thomas' hand and underside of his forearm still have  a lot healing to do, but his feet are almost free of bandages. Peter is somewhere in the middle. Peter did go to football practice last night and participated as much as possible. I think he'll be able to Walk into school the first day. He may have to take it easy during gym class though. Now I need to keep them covered in lotion because the healing process is quite itchy. Here Thomas is looking at his protein drink, which he doesn't really like, but needs so he can continue to grow new skin. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My goodness Ellie...I am so sorry to hear about this. Thank goodness you are all healing quickly. Glad you had so many angles helping you out.

aandkhousewright said...

so glad to hear everyone is recovering well!!!

Krista said...

Oh Wow! I am so glad to hear they are recovering so well, and doing better. I burned my hand with boiling water a few weeks ago, and have a bit of a new understanding of how badly that hurts!