These are a must try. I made a version tonight using this recipe as a guide. Yum-mo as Rachael would say
Gorgonzola Filled Meatballs, Bay and Onion Creamy Tomato Gravy
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds ground veal (I used pork)
1 pound ground beef
Salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk
2 handfuls grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
2 handfuls plain bread crumbs (I used panko)
3 tablespoons sliced or finely chopped sage leaves (I used 1 1/2 T rubbed sage)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I didn't use this much oil, more like 2 T)
8 ounces Gorgonzola (I used mozzarella, really just two cheese sticks cut up)
1 tablespoon butter (I didn't use)
2 fresh bay leaves (I used dried)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cup chicken stock
1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup cream
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place meat in a mixing bowl and season with salt, pepper, add in garlic, eggs, cheese, bread crumbs and sage. Mix meat, roll into 8 large balls and arrange in a baking dish. Coat balls with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Using the end of a wooden spoon, make an indentation half way into each ball and fill the cavity with some Gorgonzola. Bake until golden and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
Heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and butter in a sauce pot over medium heat, add bay and onions and season with salt and pepper. Add chicken stock and tomatoes and heat through, stir in cream, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer to thicken slightly 8 to 10 minutes.
Ladle sauce into shallow bowls and top with big stuffed meatballs and potatoes alongside, if desired.
We ate it with pasta instead of potatoes. However, I'm sure potatoes would be good because the sauce was a little thin for pasta.
Enjoy!
Friday, March 05, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment