
Something has been eating our tomatoes plants. I haven't gotten to take a good look to see what until this Sunday night. I found several infamous tomato hornworms. They were all covered, but one with these white pill things, which made them easy to see. I donned my gardening gloves and began pulling them off the plants. Gross. I threw them all into the woods. I guess you're suppose to mash them, but pulling them off was enough for me. Monday night I looked up on-line what I found. Turns out all those white pills things on the caterpillars was a good thing. Hornworms have "natural enemies, such as the parasitic wasp that lays its eggs on the hornworm's back, are common. If found, such worms should be left in the garden so the emerging wasps can parasitize other hornworms" Oops, maybe I shouldn't have thrown them into the woods. Who knew wasps were good for something?
No comments:
Post a Comment