Wednesday, July 30, 2008

poopy pants


Peter is doing well with peeing in the potty, but he continues to poop in his pants. It is very frustrating. Plus, he is very embarrassed about it. On our 5 hour drive home from the lake house Peter didn't go at all in his undies. He went pee when we stopped and right when we got home. I knew he had to poop. He was letting out warning signals. I told Steve that we shouldn't put his undies and clothes back on him because I thought he wouldn't poop on the floor. I was right! He ran to the bathroom when the time came. Yes, poop in the potty. However, we celebrated too soon. Once in his undies he finished the job. Grrr.

Today I tried the naked thing again. He normally goes in the afternoon so after lunch I removed his clothes. I told him he could get them back once he peed and pooped in the potty. He didn't seem to mind much. By 4pm all he had done was pee. After trying again to go, I put only his undies back on him. A half hour later Marie and I couldn't find Peter. I began singing, "Where is Peter, where is Peter, where is he." I heard from the hall closet "Don't come find me, don't" There he was pooping in his undies. What I'm I going to do? Is there any trick that will help him poop in the potty?

3 comments:

Mere said...

I have no suggestions for you, but I wanted to say that after 4 weeks of potty training, Ethan still has accidents. Usually not the poopy ones, but still... He did have a poopy one just the other day and he didn't tell us about it, so it was NASTY. I think he just got too wrapped up in what he was doing to go to the bathroom.

Ah, potty training. Who knew peeing and pooping would be so fascinating?!?!

Jenny said...

It seemed like when he didn't have the underwear he did pretty good. I know that it's scary letting them run around entirely naked though. lol But I would just confine myself to the house for 2 or 3 days straight and let him run around naked the entire time that he is awake. Scary, though, for the carpet, furniture, etc.

AugsburgDaisy said...

Hey - I'm Dana's best friend from high school. Followed the link from her bowling night post with you guys this week. Fun! Anyway, you don't need to post this - but I just wanted to give you some encouragement. My son (4.5) had a terrible time with #2. From about 2.5 until 3.5 he refused to go #2 for days on end (I'm talking almost a week, literally). This was with prescription strength laxatives from our pediatrician. I have no idea to this day what the issue was. He was fine with #1. I have read that this is more common with boys. We did charts, bribing with toys & candy, and told him that the poop goes to the poopy party when it goes down the toilet. He actually liked this story and I wish I'd started it earlier before we hit constipation city. Maybe try that? But beyond that, I would say try to avoid this refusal/constipation cycle at all costs. Even completely backing off of it. Other recommendations I had that didn't work for us included having him sit on the potty in his diaper when he needs to go #2. Gradually removing it? Best of luck! If you pray, pray Matthew 15:17. :) It WILL resolve itself. We have no problems at all anymore! Woohoo!!!